Bulldog Bulletin – Week of April 19, 2021
Remote Learning – Return to School Monday, April 19th
We hope our students enjoyed their time off school this past week. They have all been working extremely hard since our return from Christmas Break and deserved some time off to re-charge as we head into the last two months of the school year.
As you all know, the provincial government announced earlier in the week we will move back to remote learning when we return to school on April 19th. Below, you will see some important information & reminders for parents and students as we pivot back into virtual learning.
- Monday, April 19th – Asynchronous Learning Day. Our first day back to school will be asynchronous (i.e., teachers will not be providing ‘live’ instruction). Learning tasks will be posted by your child’s teachers by 9:30 a.m. and students will be expected to complete the assignments during the course of the day.
- Tuesday, April 20th – Synchronous Learning Begins. Regular St. Kateri school hours will be observed by teachers and students. There will be a blend of synchronous (225 min. of live instruction or teacher availability to support students) and asynchronous learning (students working independently on assigned learning tasks) each day.
- Wednesday, April 21st – First Day of In-Person Learning for Identified Students with Special Needs. Parents of students who require a high level of support and cannot access learning remotely have been contacted. These students have been invited to continue learning in-person at school with Special Education support.
- All students, JK-Gr. 8, are required to ‘attend’ school from 8:25a.m. to 2:55 p.m. (our regular school hours) – attendance will be taken each day at 8:25 a.m. and 12:10 p.m.
- Teachers will provide a daily schedule and each day will consist of both synchronous (live instruction or available to assist student learning) and asynchronous learning (students working independently on a task)
- Synchronous sessions will be with your child’s Classroom Teacher as well as their Planning Time Teacher (Arts, Music, Phys Ed) and/or French Teacher (Gr. 4-8)
- At times, some students may work in small groups with a teacher while other students work independently
- Our bell times, including recess and lunch, remain the same – where possible, students are encouraged to get outside and be active during breaks
- Students are reminded to keep their cameras on or off – as directed by their teachers – please be mindful of your background
- Students are reminded to keep their microphones muted unless they are speaking
- The School Dress Code and Behavior Codes still apply
- If parents would like to speak to their child’s teacher, they are asked to do so outside of instructional time
- If your child is still in need of a Chromebook to engage in virtual learning this week, a reminder to please email Principal Dave Lynch firstname.lastname@example.org with your child’s full name, grade and classroom teacher’s name
- A reminder that The Ontario Government’s COVID-19 Child Benefit will be providing parents of children JK-Gr. 12 with $400 for each child. Parents may wish to consider purchasing their children their own a Chromebook or other learning device with this funding. For more details, visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-ontario-covid-19-child-benefit
May 3-7 – Catholic Education Week – ‘Nurturing Hope’ … “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength” 40:31
May 24 – Victoria Day (schools are closed)
May 25 – Virtual Welcome to Kindergarten Night for parents of children starting JK in September
June 4 – PA Day (no school for students)
June 24 – Grade 8 Graduation Ceremony
June 28 – Term 2 Report Cards Go Home
June 29 – Last Day of the 2020-2021 School Year